Your RV solar generator is a great way to enjoy the convenience of granular electricity while being eco-friendly. But can it replace your gas generator?
Yes, but, as always, it depends on your specific situation.
Solar generators are modern energy storage solutions that allow you to harvest, store and use solar energy for electric devices.
For RV owners, RV solar generators bring a lot to the table on top of on-the-go electricity. Quietness, fuel savings, eco-friendliness, and portability are some of the add-on conveniences solar generator owners enjoy.
Powering a fully-equipped RV using solar generators alone is trickier. It’s possible, but solutions are available, such as a hybrid setup.
What is an RV Solar Generator?
An RV solar generator is an emerging portable power generator among modern green energy consumers. They are seen in the RV community as a clean, quiet, and mobile alternative to gas generators.
solar RV generators also have outlets and ports that draw power from its battery to run various electrical devices and appliances, such as lamps, laptops, and refrigerators. It’s a great way to provide electricity and power to your RV, whether you’re in the city or on the road.
Comparing an RV Solar Generator with Other Generators
RV generators provide one main benefit: powering all your appliances and devices without relying on public electricity sources.
However, RV generator types have key differences that can influence your decision.
Gas generators have a higher power output and are generally less expensive. However, they require a constant gasoline supply and contribute to carbon emissions. They are also loud and generate heat, which makes them less convenient to use in some situations.
On the other hand, solar generators for RV are powered by the sun, so there's no need to worry about finding a gas station in the wilderness or exhaust fumes. You can have all the power you need without worrying about fuel running out or paying for it over time. And the best part is that you don’t release carbon monoxide or other harmful pollutants in the air around your RV - you'll be saving both money and resources!
They're much quieter, lighter, and more portable than gas generators. However, they can be more expensive to purchase, and the speed at which the amount of sunlight available affects the energy that can be harvested, so they may not be as reliable in cloudy or overcast conditions.
Can You Power an RV with a Solar Generator Alone?
Can you power an RV with a solar generator alone? Absolutely. Let's take my experience as an example.
My wife and I are tech-savvy professionals who like to go on trips in the RV/trailer from time to time and enjoy the great outdoors. We both like to pack light because we want a spacious RV when on vacation. We cook our meals at home before leaving or through the propane stove.
We are also fans of BBQ and a couple of cold beers by the campfire. That's why we bring a portable fridge.
Aside from the portable fridge, here are the other appliances we use on the RV trips.
Table: Sample Appliance list for an RV
Appliance / Device
Power Rating (Watts)
Sample Daily Time Usage
If this lineup is enough for you to enjoy your RV trip, an RV solar generator can cover all your needs.
But what if you have higher demands? Think HVAC, which in itself is around 1kW-3kW. In this case, we recommend using a gas generator to power the big appliances and a solar RV generator to power sensitive electronic devices.
After all, unlike gas generators, RV solar generators have up-to-date ports to accommodate varying gadgets (see image below) and provide clean AC electricity.
Modern RV Solar Generators have up-to-date-ports
Why Choose an RV Solar Generator?
Let's summarize the reasons to like RV generators:
- Eco-friendliness: RV solar generators produce clean energy, making them more environmentally friendly than traditional gasoline-powered generators.
- Cost savings: Solar generators require more investments than a traditional generator upfront for a good reason. It offers many benefits. One is free electricity, thanks to solar, compared to a gas generator.
- Portability: Solar generators are typically compact and lightweight, making them easy to carry and store in an RV.
- Quiet: Solar generators are much quieter than gas generators, making them a better option for use in RV parks and other outdoor settings where noise may be a concern.
- Independence: By relying on solar energy, you won't rely on the electrical grid for electricity. It also saves you the time, money, and effort of relying on gas as a fuel source. This is invaluable for RV owners who like to camp in remote locations. This also means switching your dependence from gas and grid electricity to sun availability.
- Multifunction: Modern solar powered generators can be used outdoors or in your apartment, especially if they have UPS and surge protection capabilities.
Some Solar Generators have UPS and surge protection capabilities. Perfect for both indoor and outdoor applications
Other Things to Look for in an RV Solar Generator
When purchasing an RV solar generator, here are additional factors to keep in mind:
- Power and Energy Requirements: Consider the amount of power and stored energy you will need to run the appliances and devices in your RV.
- Price: Consider the generator's cost and ensure it fits within your budget. High-quality solar generators can be expensive, but they can also be a long-term investment that will save you money on fuel costs in the long run.
- Warranty: Look for a solar generator with a warranty covering any defects or issues that may arise.
- User-Friendliness: Choose a generator that is user-friendly and easy to operate. This will make it much easier for you to use and maintain it on your trips.
Considering these factors helps you make an informed decision and choose a solar generator that will meet your needs and exceed your expectations.
Ready for an RV Solar Generator?
Let’s say you relate to my experience earlier and want an RV solar generator that checks everything on the list above. In that case, you'll love the Growatt INFINITY 1500 Solar Generator.
The Growatt INFINITY 1500 is a powerful and multifunctional portable power station that qualifies as a solar generator for RV.
It has a 2,000W maximum power output, 1,512 watt-hours of energy storage capacity, and can handle surges up to 4,000W. The last feature is essential for devices with high startup currents, such as a hair dryer or mini fridge.
Fast charging is a feature you can't often find in powerful solar generators. Other brands with the same specs often take 4.5 to 6 hours charging speeds to fully charge up. The Growatt INFINITY 1500 does it in two.
In this article, we discussed how RV solar generators can fulfill your power demands on the road. We also shared key considerations and advantages of owning RV solar generators. While gas generators are still useful as backup generators, solar generators offer perks that cater to a more comfortable RV experience. It’s a good investment in your camping experience - and the health of the planet. By generating its own electricity, the solar generator saves you time and money that would have been spent at a gas station, as well as cleaning up pollution from generators on campgrounds.